Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Mats Gustafson

This is the muse...

This is the drawing...



This is a vintage poster you can purchase for $425. HERE
And you can purchase original works HERE



This a book you can get for $29.99 HERE

Oh the mean girls get to me sometimes. The blog queens are so uptight sometimes. This is a big internet, with lots of inspiration to go around. I clearly am new. And it just seems the new girl always gets a little ass kicking. Fine. Big ass, big heart, big brain, big mouth. I have it all.
I made a comment on another decor blog and this Anon person over there can be really mean.
The following comment was made to me after I posted a comment at this other blog. The reaction to my comment, of course, had nothing to do with the topic, but it had to do with the little picture I attach to my signature, and to this blog.
Anon writes: "Lose that avatar/portrait. Honey, it's ugly. There's no nice way to say it." Obviously Anon's mother never told her what my mother told me when I was four years old: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

So I thought I would do a fashion entry, because I haven't done one in awhile, and I thought I would do it about an old friend of mine, Mats Gustafson, who did "that portrait" as a birthday gift to me.

Swedish-born artist Mats Gustafson, known professionally as Mats, is considered a minimalist. His economical use of line and color has remained constant despite his stylistic shift over the past two decades. Whether sketching designers’ collections at the seasonal fashion shows or contributing to magazines such as Vogue and Marie-Claire, Mats has the ability to capture the essence of a fashion garment suggesting the details of fashion, rather than depicting them.
Many consider Mats the heir to René Gruau. Mats began his career in 1976 as a costume designer for Swedish television immediately after graduating from the Academy of Fine Arts in Stockholm and the Scandinavian Theater Institute. Two years later he published his first illustrations in British Vogue and soon after he was contributing regularly to American, French, Italian, German and Australian Vogue, Interview, Marie Claire, the New York Times Magazine and The New Yorker. His advertising campaigns for department stores such as Bergdorf Goodman and Galeries Lafayette, for fashion houses like Chanel, Geoffrey Beene, Romeo Gigli, Yamamoto and Comme des Garcons, and his portraits are highly acclaimed.
Since 1980 Mats has been dividing his time between New York, Stockholm and Paris and his minimal style has been accepted by virtually all major fashion journals worldwide.
Fashion photography and fashion drawing are not only images of creation, but creations in and of themselves--productions of beauty, of outfit, and of lifestyle. They mediate images of fashion's fast trade which, as visual statements, are long-lasting, extending well beyond the day. In the book Unified Message, photographers and draftsmen carry on an unusual dialogue. Pictures by three of the most important fashion photographers of our time-- Peter Lindbergh, Paolo Roversi, and Alexei Hay--are questioned, commented on, and extended by three fashion illustrators of international renown--Mats Gustafson, Ruben Toledo, and Fran ois Berthoud. The radiating power of fashion is here revealed in the interplay of their respective images.
You can see more Mats images at another great blog HERE

Well my dear Anon, I think I'll just keep my ugly portrait out there for all the world to enjoy and see.
Who's done your portrait lately?
Sorry Mom...

3 comments:

  1. F all the mean bitches! Really, what is point of being so nasty? It only shows how ugly they feel on the inside. If they were proud of themselves and their comments they would not be Anon, now would they?

    Your portrait is beautiful, and Mats is very talented. Don't you dare remove it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. brava!! it is beautiful, intriguing, and iconic.

    "those who know don't talk; those who talk don't know."

    ReplyDelete