Monday, September 12, 2011

Get This Look From The Book Undecorate

There are so many good ideas in the book Undecorate by Christiane Lemieux. There is one in particular that I  have been toying with. Some renovation due to termites has been taking place at Casa Visual Vamp, and a crumbling wall is about to be replaced.  I have been dreaming of wallpaper for a couple of years.

I love this Clarence House wallpaper Lisa Borgner-Giramonti imported from England and uses in the foyer of her Los Angeles home.

However, ahem, I do not have the budget for Clarence House.

The foyer of Lisa Borgnes-Giramonti in the idea filled  book Undecorate - Clarence House wallpaper imported  from England photo by Melanie Acevedo via Dwell Studio blog tumblr page HERE


I am very comfortable covering walls with fabric. It is much more forgiving them installing wallpaper, and easier to remove when you want a change. I have fabric covered accent walls in the bedrooms of our home, which you can see in Undecorate in the chapter called 'True South".

So I was quite taken by the similarity to Lisa's wallpaper of a fabric found on Fabric.com, one of my favorite sources for fun designer style fabrics, that I think l really looks alot like Lisa's wonderful foyer.

Aviary fabric from Fabric.com


The 411 on the DIY is simple: Buy quilt batting (I got mine for $1.00 a bag on clearance at Wal Mart, but here's an online source HERE - but check your local stores sewing departments). Staple it to the wall. Then staple the fabric to the wall (with the quilt batting behind it). Cover the staples if they show too much with a narrow trim. I have used twine from the hardware store.

I also love it in black  - I would change the wall color in the living room and dance parlor - I love the Chinoiserie and botanical feeling of the print, and would paint the walls my signature "greige" - It could be fabulous! - I would do one accent wall, the wall presently covered with a collection of mirrors in the tango dance parlor
Casa Visual Vamp up for a change? I would replace the wall of mirrors with a fabric covered wall, and paint all the walls "greige", and of course paint the orange chandelier black, and change out accessories - Just writing about it makes me want to get started! BTW the wall with the mirrors was a major snack for the termites, and is being replaced along with a support joist that runs under the entire length of the house - it's been a fascinating process to say the least! Ask me anything you like about jacking up a house filled with contents, replacing a joist, and dealing with termites -

5 comments:

  1. Love it VV!!! Now you make me think......hehe. Definitely adding "Undecorate' to my book order!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor darling--I'm so sorry about the termites, but any reason to re-decorate is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. via email ~

    Sorry about your termites. Love the
    fabric.

    Glad your #1 dance partner is doing great.

    I read your blog everyday and think you are an inspiration.

    Best wishes,
    Barbara G

    ReplyDelete
  4. via FB

    Upload the results :)

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  5. That termite thing doesn't sound near as much fun as the project you have planned. Love your fabric find. Also do a Google Search for Braemore's Flowering Branch. I know you will love it!

    ReplyDelete