Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Modern Victorian

Coming from the heyday of the 1960's and 1970's, the era I call The Modern Victorian, I see a tremendous influence currently steering today's design choices. Back then there was an exuberance and fearlessness, where color and layering and mixing furnishings was done without much angst. Most people decorated on their own, but even the professional decorators of the times embraced a certain joie d'vivre that matched the times that were "a-changing".

The 1970's - Look at this Mommy and son! Love the pattern and the mirror looks like my big girl glasses!

Much like the Victorians one hundred years before, the Modern Victorians mixed patterns and collections of possesions with a certain abandon. Many pieces of hundred year old Victorian furniture appeared alongside of plastic blow-up furniture and art work by a new artists like Andy Warhol. Victorian furniture was cheap then (as it is now having fallen out of fashion to the newer mid century modern "antiques"). Old granny pieces got a face lift with a bright coat of paint on the frame, and a reupholster with some groovy fabric.

Designers and home decorators today have embraced the Modern Victorian look once again. One of the best is Emily Henderson, who deftly shows the inner workings of her free wheeling stylist's mind on her HGTV show "Secrets From A Stylist".

Emily Henderson is a Modern Victorian

Emily loves things from the 1970's and tirelessly shops the flea markets and vintage shops for pieces to mix in and layer with modern furnishings. The effect always reflects the client and their taste and quirks, and the rooms are never boring, and often pretty and inviting.

Modern Victorian Truman Capote at home in the 1970's

Having come of age in the golden era of The Modern Victorians, my touchstones were people like Gloria Vanderbilt, Truman Capote, Lee Radizwill, Bonnie Cashin, and places like the 1970's furniture department at Bloomingdales, The Factory, and swinging London.

Modern Victorian Gloria Vanderbilt at home in the 1970's - Do you think she and Truman discussed quilt patterns?


Another view of the Modern Victorian living room of Gloria Vanderbilt
Bonnie Cashin's studio back in the heyday of the Modern Victorian

Modern Victorian Bonnie Cashin loved making Graffiti walls



Modern Victorian Lee Radziwill - circa 1970's

Lee Radziwill circa 2009 as seen in Elle Decor


A Mod Vic straight from the pages of the new book Undecorate

Hello. My name is Valorie Hart and I am a Modern Victorian - I recently covered a wall with fabric HERE


I have these sweet mannequin heads bookmarked, and they make me think of the the heyday of the Modern Victorian.  You can buy them HERE.

Couldn't you see these in your Mod Vic home now?



Please add my new address to your blog list
http://thevisualvamp.blogsopt.com
And please become a Follower

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. I consider myself a modern victorian who falls on the bohemian dandy side of life. I love all the vintage shots you posted here. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say Valorie...I really like yours but I just don't like all the others. Sensory overload for this simple girl.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. i 'flipping' love this post.
    probably because i was the little boy....
    oh i meant little girl.
    was there ever a cooler era?????

    truly love and miss you xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bathroom (pic 1) most definitely 'fearless' & reminded me I used to own some brown towels.
    Aaargh!
    :)

    ReplyDelete