Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Under The Tree

As fellow visual vamps and design-centric folks, I am sure you all think about what you put under the Christmas tree. Of course by Christmas Eve the presents that are to be given are usually piled up there. Since trees are up for many weeks before that, the space under the tree is important decor real estate.

Under my tree - Tiffany boxes and reindeer

In the old days, a train set, or a Christmas village was the thing to do. I fondly remember both from my childhood. I especially loved the village complete with a mirror used as an ice skating pond, and all the little cast iron metal figures sledding down snowy hills my mother made. It was magical.

Train sets under the Christmas tree were really popular from the 1930's to the 1960's

As home fashions shifted, my mother had a "decorator tree" in the living room. It was white or silver, and had one size ornament in one pastel color. She wrapped fake presents in one type of matching paper and ribbons to be used as the under-the-tree decor. We all thought it was swank and elegant.

Fake presents under the  designer Christmas tree - use one type of wrapping paper and ribbon - Brown paper is great

Another designer tree with a playful group of little animals under it

In our playroom, there was the old family tree of the past. Green - cluttered with colored lights and every ornament we ever had, tinsel, and of course the train set and the Christmas village. We opened our gifts in the living room by the fancy tree, but once the gifts were opened, we took them all to the playroom and hung out by what became known as the kids tree.

I loved the Christmas village under the tree when I was a child

This year I have two main trees, and six mini trees scattered inside and out. I do the fake gift thing, and a couple of playful elements too.

What do you do under your tree? Perhaps, Mommy kissing Santa Claus?

My second main tree - I use a huge garden urn to hold it - Fake presents are wrapped in wallpaper I found at a yard sale for $1. - I usually use brown paper - I embellish the gifts with ribbons, ornaments, and seasonal foliage - The snowmen are dancing in a New Orleans Second Line, a playful element for sure -  I spy Kitty Kitty Bang Bang, who is really the most playful element under the tree - Even designer trees should be playful and magical

The Visual Vamp decorates under the Christmas tree


Please add my NEW address to your blog list:
http://thevisualvamp.blogspot.com
And please become a Follower

3 comments:

  1. What a fascinating observation. So perhaps the non fancy tree, with the fantasy attached of the little scene, was actually the better of the options.

    I do remember, when we were kids, and Christmas trees were not "styled" they were perhaps much more magical. Fabulous food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your memories and your trees. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your ideas for Christmas decorating ideas was searching the net and I came across your wonderful blog, congratulations and Merry Christmas from Spain.

    ReplyDelete