Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Black and White Chanel Interiors

The black and white rooms created by Coco Chanel in the 1920's are amazing. They are a treat for all you lovers of black and white decor.

The entry hall of Chanel's country home - white walls black trim

Actually these are images from the 2010 film, Coco & Igor,  a soft core biopic. It was on cable last week, so I watched it, and there were some great lines: Mrs. Stravinsky (upon seeing Coco's home) “You don’t like color, Mademoiselle Chanel?” To which Coco dryly responds, “As long as it’s black.”

Coco & Igor met (and ultimately bed) right after Coco's lover of nine years Boy Capel died in a tragic car crash. Apparently Chanel was kept by many rich men in her life. However, Boy Capel was, Chanel’s self proclaimed  “love of her life.”  After Capel's death, Chanel’s collections featured what became her signature black. Other designers of the time commented that she was making everyone mourn for her lost love by using black as a main color in her collections. Whatever the reason, Chanel broke barriers and gave new life to the color black.

So here's a round up of all the images I could find from the movie. There are some good ideas to inspire anyone wanting to try out a black and white decor scheme. 

The movie version of Chanel's country house - LOVE the  pair giant spiral topiary

You don’t like color, Mademoiselle Chanel?  Let me see if I have some red Russian rugs to throw around this dump.

Igor says this place is crazier than a set of piano keys - LOVE the black Venetian mirror

Step into my music room and tickle my ivories - Black drapes and hand painted walls are spiffy

Count the patterns - Fabulous rug, border under window, wall painting, and black trim

Let me see if you're wearing black under there

Don't be sad Igor, I'll 'sew you some black under pants - Check out the wall details

All that under pants sewing made me hungry - One of the lovely black and white dresses in the movie

So your wife dares to wear red in my house! Even though she's dying and the two of you and your four kids are living in my house too, I'll still seduce you and teach her a lesson in hospitality she won't soon forget! And everybody keep puffing those cigarettes next to the wife with consumption!

Please show me your bathroom renovation - I hear you got some good ideas from blogs - Mais oui! M.C, Escher has a blog.

Here's the bathroom - Whatever you do don't touch the parrot - it's still pissed that I dyed it black

Want  me to wash you?

Time to go to work in my black and white world

How big can my ash get?

Everybody must wear black and white, and maybe a little beige - That goes for you too humble shop girl!

All dressed up with nowhere to go - Oh Iggy where are you???

Lay Iggy lay, Lay across my big brass bed - LOVE the recurring Greek key motif

Now that's what I'm talking about! The black and white bedding is stunning!

Bitch stole my piano man  - The mix of pattern is extraordinary

Shit! I think I can hear them in the garden shed! LOVE the symmetry of the topiary

Shh...The old ball and chain  has big ears

Coco & Igor design inspiration or soft core biopic  - You decide

The real Igor -who knew he was so hot

The real Coco Chanel - who knew she was such a Vamp!

So what do you think of black and white decor? Do you think it's easy to do because there are only two colors to work with? Do you think it imbues a space with instant sophistication and high design?


Please add my NEW address to your blog list:
http://thevisualvamp.blogspot.com
And Please become a Follower

10 comments:

  1. LOVE this Coco post! The black and white is classic and is somehow instantly chic and sophisticated. I love the pattern mix and your comments, particularly on the brass bed. THAT is indeed classic! The real Igor not so enchanting, at least to the NAKED eye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first job as a colorist for a textile firm had to be the hardest when it came to matching black and white for intimate apparel. Who knew there were so many shades of black and white.
    I do love it and I think it is incredibly graphic and strong but not easy to do. Well, unless of course you are Madame Chanel.
    Great post and the dialogue even better.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right Patricia!
    One of the hardest assignments I had in art school was to paint white eggs on a white background. We students watched in horror as the teacher set up the still life. At the last moment he added a black cast iron pan. It was the best color lesson I ever learned.
    xo xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Think I'm going to have to watch this movie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. After seeing these images and reading your thrown in comments, I have to see this movie! Love your blog!

    Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, you've got me laughing! And simultaneously intrigued by this movie -- soft core or not, looks luscious. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Valorie for a few laughs and some great pattern inspirations.

    Cheers,

    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Miss vamp,

    know anywhere in the world where one might get that brass greek key bed frame?! I watched this movie AGAIN last night, just to look at the interiors, in particular that greek key brass bed, and this one cream lampshade that had sort of a sheer black mesh trim, with either embroidery,or tassels? Owning both of these items would make my live complete. I'm obsessed...

    ReplyDelete