Saturday, January 14, 2012

Shop Keepers Homes - Maria and Simon Hardeveld - Antiques On Jackson

A beloved couple owns a shop beloved by many here in New Orleans called Antiques on Jackson.
Their home is featured in the January issue of Our Louisiana Magazine. Unfortunately the magazine web site doesn't have the article or any photos up, so I pulled some from another story about them done in CUE Magazine some time ago.

The home of Maria and Simon Hardeveld owners of Antiques on Jackson in the January 2012 issue of Our Louisiana

If you see the current issue of Our Louisiana pick it up so you can see the most current gorgeous shots of Maria and Simon's amazing home. I never get tired of seeing a home I love shown again either on blogs, in another magazine, or in books. Too many editors don't understand that decor devotees in fact like to look at things they love over and over again. Every photographer, writer, and stylist puts a new spin on things even if they have been shot before. And every home owner is always tweaking and revising and revamping their rooms because that's what they love to do, so you always can see something changed, added, or subtracted. The personal evolution of a home owner who does decor and design is ever fascinating. And the body of work of a designer is there to be enjoyed over and over again, in as many outlets as possible.

The home of Maria and Simon Hardeveld in CUE Magazine - all photos by Theresa Cassagne, story by Lee Cutrone

I think we need to let editors know this! They need to update their thinking and policies to reflect the age of the internet and social media where the flow and sharing of information is forever changed. Images will be repeated, especially the ones that strike a chord. No one seems to mind when the same fashion or celebrity photos constantly reappear. The idea of the exclusive is powerful, but becoming less realistic with the free flow of information.
So Bravo! Our Lousiana for doing another story on the Hardeveld's fabulous home.

Still life in the Hardeveld's home - They personify Patina Style!!!

For designers and decorators, creating a body of work takes time. Rooms and houses are months long projects segueing into years.  Waiting to have something new to present to editors is difficult. I think some leeway can be given to designers allowing them to share the same project with multiple outlets. There are levels on exposure: local publications and blogs all the way up to national magazines and books, and also television and You Tube exposure. Except for the media and decor mavens the general public does not focus on when they last saw something. Eye candy is disposable. For the mavens, repeating things with another point of view is welcome.

More great objet at the Hardevelds

What do you say? 

The master bedroom -  "We buy things that have their original finishes and surfaces," says Maria, a native New Orleanian whose love for antiques was instilled by relatives who emigrated to New Orleans from Italy.

Go to Antiques on Jackson to get some of the great Hardeveld style


Maria and Simon - He is an artist who creates iconic New Orleans signs - A native of Chamonix, France and former chef, Simon shares his wife's affinity for antique, distressed and hand-hewn wares, taking satisfaction in their daily use.

Alberto and I purchased a sign from Simon for our tango dance studio back in 2001 - It now hangs in our home studio where we teach private tango lessons - I  think it looks fab with the Union Jack armoire Alberto painted for me - photo Valorie Hart

Please add my NEW address to your blog list:
http://thevisualvamp.blogspot.com
And please become a Follower

8 comments:

  1. Such an interesting home. So much detail. So much to see.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great style! Will have to go there on my next visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The style of their home is exactly what I picture in my mind when I think of New Orleans style. A great collection of pieces with timeworn finishes and mardi-gras-esque accessories. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valorie, I'll also be adding you to my blog roll. Don't know why I haven't already done this - I adore your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really like the Union Jack closet. It's like a the Who record cover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Valorie!

    I LOVE everything in Antiques on Jackson, and now their home as well.

    I have purchased at the wonderful shop for clients and for myself. I have great little Italian lamps in my dining room I bought from them!

    Thank you for sharing, my dear!

    I'm bummed about the Saints today.

    ReplyDelete