Monday, February 6, 2012

Raise Your Hand If You Don't Watch Downton Abbey

Are you on the hot tamale train that is Downton Abbey? Every blogger seems to have something to post, mood boards and shopping tips, pithy recaps and mash notes.

Is there any blogger out there who does not love Downton Abbey?

Of course I love it too. I loved the original PBS saga of the rich and their servants, Upstairs Downstairs. Downton Abbey is the uber version.

Here are three books that you might enjoy whilst waiting for the next episode. Also check out the NY Times article "Remains of the Days".

I also include the DVD of the old movie Mrs. Miniver. TCM in their current cycle, 31 Days of Oscar, showed a day's and night's worth of films with an English motif. Downton Abbey borrows from all of them, repackaging all the familiar themes and story lines we have come to love in tales about merry old England. Mrs. Miniver has some of the best wartime scenes, and the rose contest is classic, almost lifted in it's entirety in Downton Abbey.

Mrs. Miniver, a great classic film that you will enjoy if you love Downton Abbey


Below Stairs the book that started it all

An early printing of Below Stairs - maybe you'll find it in a used book shop

Lady Almina -  this book would make a great movie or mini series - Spoiler alert, she died broke, and her husband was the famous Lord Carnarvon who discovered King Tut's tomb and who legends say suffered the curse of any who disturbed the tomb (sounds like the movie The Mummy)

The World of Downton Abbey the companion book written by the niece of the creator of the show

So hunker down for a good read and an old movie my fellow Downton Abbey addicts.
These would be nice Valentines gifts for the Downton Abbey fan in your life.

Please add my NEW address to your blog list:
http://thevisualvamp.blogspot.com
And please become a Follower

9 comments:

  1. Oooh - I love "Mrs. Miniver" and yes, I admit it, I love "Downton Abbey" too. But my favorite thing that Hugh Bonneville ever acted in was "Iris" with Judy Dench. He was so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are on the same page today VV - check out this funny SNL skit. Downton Abbey on Spike TV! http://bit.ly/zZeEtx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Miniver is one of my all time favorite movies! I'll check out Downton Abbey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heart Downton (natch)
    Pure escapism.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guilty as charged! I am addicted!
    Thanks for the new inspiration, will check out Mrs.Miniver!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favourite upstairs/downstairs type movie is Gosford Park (also written by Julian Fellowes who is the creator of Downton Abbey).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am thinking that "My Lord" is going to have a rendevous with the new maid and create a male heir. That will stir things up since no one else can produce one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Valorie!!

    I was slow to catch on, but must admit to loving Downton Abbey!!! I'm a little behind on my episodes. Just need a relaxing winter weekend to hunker down and enjoy!

    The book about the original looks fascinating!
    xo Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete