Monday, June 11, 2012

Halston In Search Of Me

If you are sick of reading about my tales from the crypt, and looking at faded pages from the scrapbook I call my life, my tales of me in the city, then pass this post by.

Daniel Pearl at Halston in Olympic Towers 1979, photo by Valorie Hart
My memory was jolted the other night as I came upon a movie on cable, called "Ultrasuede: In Search of Halston."

As I watched, tears and memories overwhelmed me.  I went back to 1979 when my best friend Danny called me all breathless. It was 8 AM and I was, like he, getting ready for work, to go to our jobs at The Museum of Modern Art, where we were underpaid, but glamorous clerks.

This photo of Halston in 1979 in Olympic Towers where he had his office, work room, and show room,  reminds me of the one I took of Daniel Pearl in that same year in the same place


"Put on your Halston today," he demanded, " I have a surprise for you." I balked at the idea of wearing my Halston to work. It was a white hammered satin tunic with skinny leg pants, a tad dressy for the office. I told him it would look like I was out all night coming to work from Studio 54, and he said "Fabulous, just do it", and hung up in my ear.

Halston tunic and pants - Mine was not this daytime

Danny was, of course my BGF, my best gay friend. He was a librarian by day, and dreamed a life of glamour.

He taught me about glamour. Up until I met him, I did not wear make-up or fashionable clothes, or go out to fancy restaurants we both could not afford, or glam parties and openings he often scored tickets or invites for. I was his real live Barbie doll he could dress up and squire around town.

My Halston looked more like this white one I wore in 1979

So there I was at my desk at MoMA, getting teased about my attire. I took it with good nature, never revealing why I was over dressed. letting my co-workers suggest everything from it being laundry day with no clean clothes left to wear, forgetting it was day not night, and of course coming to work directly from a night out.

Danny was nowhere to be found. I rang up his desk, and another lackey answered and said he had not seen Danny all morning. Fine, I thought, he tells me to dress up and he didn't even come to work. Ha ha.

Sometime around lunch, he arrives at my desk with a a whirlwind effect of importance and drama. He was wearing a white dinner jacket with jeans. It was one of his going out at night outfits. A couple of air kisses, and he pulls out the chair I'm sitting in, and says, "Let's go, I'm taking you out for lunch."

Once out on the street we head for Fifth Avenue, and he still won't tell me where and why. He's practically flying and floating, leaving me breathless as we get to a high rise office building called Olympic Towers. He punches the elevator buttons asking me if I can now guess where we are going.
I laugh and say no. The elevator doors open, and the word Halston is emblazoned on wall. There are crowds of fancy people, the air kissing creating a very glam draft.

Danny claps his hands"I've brought you to a Halston fashion show!".

And indeed he had. We watched the show, and then hung out drinking champagne. Danny pulled a small camera from his pocket. "Come here come here," he urged as he sliced through the crowd.
He draped himself on the edge of desk with the biggest orchid plant I had ever seen. In fact the whole place was filled with orchids. "This is the prefect place. You can see out the window. Take my picture."

The photo I took of Danny - It's all there - Halston, Olympic Towers, orchids, the view with those skinny blinds, the memories

These were not the times that people took pictures at parties. Only reporters did that, and they only took pictures of famous people, not nobodies like me and Danny. It felt kind of ill mannered and illicit to whip out a camera at a party, and I must say that Danny was the first one I ever knew to bring a camera to a party. But I would do anything for him, so I snapped the photo, and then we blended back into the crowd.

Of course we got too tipsy to go back to work, because when champagne is free you drink as much as you can. By the time we left it was cocktail hour, and the work day was over, so we didn't go back to the office that day. "I'm starving."  "Me too." So off we went to Hamburger Heaven and sat at the counter eating New York Burgers (Lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise) with chocolate milkshakes.

"You looked like one of the models in your Halston, and he was checking you out." Danny always told me pretty lies, and made me feel like his Holly Golightly.

Fast forward to the present and my heart stings tugged while watching the Halston movie. There aren't many photos from those days, but I had a feeling I had the one I took of Danny that day. He had made a print and a gift of it to me. One of his other glam affectations was having Sterling Silver framed photographs all over his apartment "like the rich people do." He got me into this habit too, and I put Danny in a silver frame from Tiffany's. Years later, I sold all my silver frames, and put the photos away.


When I found the photo it started this long winded story, and as more memories came out of the vault,  I realized that I had been to a couple of parties at Halston's town house, called '101". Truthfully I do not recall how I got invited. I was arm candy then, and the de rigueur hedonism of the day often rendered me in some state of happy highness. I was often swept up in the moment of an entourage of party goers, ending up somewhere totally unplanned and spontaneous.

"101" - The Halston Townhouse - So black, mysterious, glam, and foreboding - It was designed by Paul Rudolph and was the talk of the town then not only because of Halston, but because of the architecture

I do remember the townhouse. Who could forget it? I was terrified of the open stairway, especially having to navigate it tipsy and in high heels. But someone always assisted me, and I got a house tour through throngs of people. It was just one stop of many those nights, and in a blink of a clink of a glass of champagne, I'd get piled into a limo and whisked away to the next night spot.

Those stairs terrified me, but I had to see upstairs
All this nostalgia led me to seek out someone who knew Danny then too. Danny died 13 years after that 1979 photos was taken. He died of AIDS like many of my friends did back then. Halston had died a couple of years earlier, and Danny and I both cried. Halston sold the townhouse in January of 1990, and died in March 1990 in San Francisco. They say the 1970's belonged to Halston. The 1990's belonged to the survivors and loved ones left to say goodbye and miss them forever.

Halston in his home circa 1979

Halston living room - At the time I did not understand why anyone would make their home look like a disco nightclub - You can barely see the fabulous atrium filled with exotic trees and orchids - It was amazing

Halston before the guests arrive at '101"

Halston's bedroom - He taught me about orchids - If walls could talk what would they say about Victor Hugo and Ming Vauze?


In my search I thought who could still be alive to help me reminisce. I thought of Patrica Warner, who worked at MoMA with Danny and me (and often went out with us), and later went to work with John Loring from Tiffany's. She remembered her old friends always, and when John Loring wrote a book on weddings, with Pat doing the introduction, she introduced me to the powers that be, and I had my first work as a floral designer (with on a page credit) published in that book. It also allowed for me to do some nice table top projects at Tiffany's.

I tried to find Patrica Warner on Facebook, and then Googled her. Sadly she died in 2009, and I found her New York Times obituary.

So my remembranzas are confined to a blog post, no one left alive when we were all there together, to share them with. Growing older is bittersweet.

I hobbled together images from the Internet, and am surprised how little there are of personal photos of that era. How different in this age of social media where we photo journal and publicly post our breakfasts. I think Danny would have loved it.


Please add my NEW address to your blog list:
http://thevisualvamp.blogspot.com
And please become a Follower again (or for the first time) on this new blog

20 comments:

  1. Great post.

    It was a different world back then, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your memories with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love your remembranzas...they are fun, honest and hint at just a little bit of youthful decadence. Please keep telling us your bedtime stories, they are worth staying up for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another black facade! I loved this post, thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it when you do these kinds of posts. You had such an exciting, interesting life. Such memories.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She still has a very exciting and glamorous life!

      Delete
  6. Valorie -- thank you for sharing your remembrances. Simultaneously glamorous and bittersweet -- damn AIDS and other diseases that take people we love too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nostalgic, sad and lovely post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love this post. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing this very personal story. My BGF was/is also named Danny. In 1983 we set out together to start our lives and moved to New Orleans from Macon, GA. Thankfully, neither he, nor those in my closest circle of friends, contracted AIDS. We are able to remember those sweet, crazy, hopeful times together and do so every couple of years. I'm so sorry that your friend Danny is gone, but what an amazing picture you took of him. xoxo, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this story. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! What an amazing story! I am in awe.

    xx
    Kecia

    http://www.couturezooblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG What a lovely, bittersweet post! Thank you for sharing with all of us! I loved every word, picture and memory!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your passion oozes through the words scripted with a love for Danny, Halston & life in the decadent times of Studio 54 with a coming of age story of life in Manhattan. I remember it well. Your tales of life from yore take me back to my youth of parallel experiences & sneaking into 21 like I was born to be there. I had this fantasy that I would become friends with Andy Warhol & be photographed by Ron Gallela...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Please tell us more stories.....you have and had an amazing life!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing this with us. I'm glad that you're documenting it here. I'd love to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your post brings back a whole era and the people. I knew Danny through Pat Warner whom I had met in a drawing class I taught while she was in DC with her then husband, Brad. Pat was an incredible talent who never went to high school yet ended up editing John Russell! She was the daughter of a chauffer in a large family in London and during the Blitz was sent off to Wales at about the age of about five as many children of Londoners were. There is a wonderful obit of Pat in the Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2009/aug/20/obituary-patricia-warner mentioning that she “was a generous and loyal friend, a great hostess and an indomitable lover of life.” I treasure the breadbasket she gave me when she left NY for London in 1991 that brings back all her incredible dinners, as it always sat in the middle of the table.
    She was deeply attached to Danny. Danny in turn was in awe of the fact that Jackie Onassis was Pat’s editor, for the book you were a part of. Dan was sensitive and alert and fun to be with. An older gay friend lamented recently that young gay men no longer knew what movies should be seen. Danny knew!
    At the end, while working at the Metropolitan Museum, Danny felt it was deeply anti-Semitic so he changed his first name to “Trevor.” I believe he changed his last name as well. Pat disapproved and said, “Does he know what a wimp of name ‘Trevor’ is?!”
    Thank you for your touching reminiscences and the photo you took of Danny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this wonderful comment! Please email me at mizvtheb@yahoo.com
      I would love to know who you are, and connect with you.
      I remember when Danny changed his name, and Patricia's comment. In fact we three were together when she teased him. Of course Danny's mother was a little sad when Danny Pearl became Trevor Hadley.
      Again, thank you for writing.
      xo xo

      Delete
  17. So many, many of us lived this lifestyle in these years. No knowledge that there was this horrible, dreaded disease. I am positive since 1986, I do not know how I am alive. I AM MORE GRATEFUL THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE. I have been on a hellish journey with HIV cancer etc.... but I am still going stong. Weighs heavy on my mind that I have lost so many in my life, friends, lovers and members of the community. Not to mention the scores of infected children in other countries. AND the freaking huge cost of medications, if you can get them. I sure lived it up in NYC,FLA and LA/Hollywood. All the dancing was the best part.

    ReplyDelete