Friday, August 10, 2012

New Orleans Home Featured In Elle Decor

Are all the editors of all the shelter magazines mind readers? So many times similar features appear in the same month in the different magazines. Like if one is doing a pink issue, another one does it too. This month two different New Orleans homes are featured in two different magazines. Yay! I love to see New Orleans talent featured. I posted about the one in Architectural Digest, and now here's a heads up about one published in the September 2012 issue of Elle Decor.

But before I talk about the NOLA house, I just have to say a word about how dark Elle Decor is this month. Almost drab. It's like the color is off in the whole printing of the magazine.

So Julia Reed's New Orleans home is published this month, and it looks so dark. It's a shame because the house is vibrant in person.

The House On First Street in the September issue of Elle Decor

It is almost two years to the post since I first got to see the inside of Julia Reed's home. I was thrilled. I asked if I could take photos, and was granted permission by Julia's husband. I felt like a number one jerky geeky blogger, but I just had to get a few pictures. Embarrassed, I took them off the cuff, with little care for focus and composition, and they are not the greatest, but my silly little snapshots HERE show more life than what's in Elle Decor.

The home of Julia Reed in Elle Decor

A few months ago, I was in Julia's home again. This time as a stylist and the writer of an article for New Orleans Homes & Lifestyle Magazine. It was a story just about her kitchen. I was thrilled to see the house again, and told Julia I was doing a decor book and asked if she would like to be included.

Alas, I was too late to the rodeo, because she told me that Elle Decor was doing a shoot, and that her friend Thomas Jayne is also doing a book and her house will be included in that. I always believe the pie is big enough for everyone to have a piece of, so I was happy Julia's beautiful home was being published, even if I couldn't have it in my book.

Even though I think the Elle Decor photos are dark,  I am still very happy to see the article. Julia wrote it herself, and no one writes about decorating like she does.

Pick up the September issue of Elle Decor and let me know what you think. So far the Julia Reed house is not on the Elle Decor web site, so you will have to buy the magazine to see it. You should buy magazines and books always. Don't let them die out and become extinct.


Please add my NEW address to your blog list:
http://thevisualvamp.blogspot.com
And please become a Follower again (or for the first time) 

4 comments:

  1. I remember this house and how beautiful your pictures were. They far exceed those that appear so lifeless in Elle Decor. It was great revisiting the kitchen and refreshing to see that not everyone feels the need to gut perfectly functioning kitchens for the sake of new. This couple clearly love this home, and enjoy the practicality of a kitchen made for cooking. Great post as always. I so love New Orleans style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i will research this further.
    it is stunning.

    all my love xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julia's home is nothing short of gorgeous. I'm nuts for her use of jewel colours and your photos capture them so much better. Believe me Valorie, you are no geeky, jerky blogger!!

    Hugs to you, xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the jewel colors as well if only I could muster the courage to use them. This home is so beautiful. Glad to see it's being featured in Elle Decor.

    ReplyDelete